I think there is always time for being melancholy, and therefore there will always be a time for happiness.
There are times in which a person finds themselves somehow surrounded by friends, or picking raspberries and eating them right there, or feeling the wind at the same time as the sun.
Unfortunately, something is off and it has spread across the surface and it’s seeping through to the earth’s core, and raspberries never last. I can’t think of a joke that’s been funny for more than a week.
But I’ll never forget the things that happened this week.
Walks across a sunny campus to sing or eat or…sing. The friends we made from all over the world, all the sleepless, hilarious conversations, and the music that connects us – that brought us together and binds us together as something we live through, and our voices working together.
This is why I’m not sure whether or not it’s all really ended- not yet anyways. We’re sad that the week has come to a close, but the memories are so fresh still. I saw the people I grew to love [more] this week only a few hours ago, though time since last Monday feels as stretched out as it could ever be. I can’t explain it, because supposedly time flies when you’re having fun, but it was as if time did not exist but to help us keep track of when we ate and slept and sang – the things we did carried on until we were tired. I’m beyond thankful that this ended up in my life. All this emotion; this music.
-on the coastal sound international choral festival 2009. July 5, 2009
No comments:
Post a Comment